You can configure the A5 Fax app to automatically send faxes. There are two ways of doing this:
Automate Faxing Based on Attachments
The standard fax automation tool provided by A5 Fax is based on the Attachment insert and filename. You can configure the app to automatically fax a PDF that gets attached to any record. The most common way to generate the PDF document is with the A5 Documents app. If combining with a document generation tool, it would allow you to customize the fax with Salesforce merge data and then A5 Fax would then pick up the attachment and create a Sent Fax record. See steps below for configuring auto faxing:
- Check User Permissions
- Make sure that all A5 Fax users have enabled the “Send Outbound Messages” permission on their individual profile or with a permission set.
- If they do not enable this Salesforce System Permission on the Profile level or via a permission set, they will not be able to successfully send outbound faxes where the Outbound Messaging was necessary. This pertains to using automation features of A5 Fax; they will still be able to send faxes manually.
- Open the App and go to the Fax Configuration tab
- In Lighting, you can go to the app launcher and search for the tab. In Classic, go to All Tabs.
- Create a New Field Setting
- In the Field Setting section, click New.
- Complete Section: Edit Field Setting
- Setting Name: Give this setting a name that provides some description to you like “Auto Send Fax to Contact”. It could be much more specific if configuring for a certain type of process or document. Overall, the Setting Name is just for informational purposes.
- Select Organization Fax Number: Select the Object the Fax is related to.
- Object: Select the lookup field on the Sent Fax object that provides the relationship to that object.
- Sent Fax Relationship: Select the lookup field on the Received Fax object that provides the relationship to that object.
- Received Fax Relationship: Indicate the location of the “send to” Fax Number. You can reference a field in the object or the fax attachment filename.
- Fax Number: Indicate how the app will locate the fax number, either a field reference or attachment filename.
- Field Reference: If the fax number is in a field, select “In Object Field” then select this field.
- Attachment Filename: If the fax number is in the attachment filename, then select this field and indicate where to find the fax number in the filename using “before” or “after” and the specific text.
- For example, you could have a process that creates an attachment with the filename “FAX-837-738-3827.pdf” where “FAX-” is always consistent and the number after is always the fax number. Then you can select “after” and put in “FAX-” in the text field.
- Autosend When Fax Attachment Filename: Indicate what the filename of the attachment related to this object should contain in order to auto send the fax. Use the matching criteria of “starts with”, “contains”, or “ends with” and input the specific text.
- For example, the file could always start with the word “Fax”. Once you attach a PDF file to the object record with this same pattern (in this example, filename starting with the word “Fax”) the attachment will be auto faxed to the specified recipient.
- Complete Section: Barcode Configurator
- Barcodes are optional. They allow the recipient of the fax to send a response, which will be associated with the original record.
- Indicate the placement of the barcode on your fax document that will remain in the same place each time a fax is sent with this field setting. If you would like to preview how the barcodes would look on an example PDF image, you can select a PDF file from your documents or upload one using the lookup glass next to Fax PDF File.
- The first barcode is in the default position.
- To move and resize, you can click on the barcode and drag, or use the controls on the left.
- Add another barcode to the document by clicking the Add Barcode button. This is optional but recommended. Sometimes when faxes come back an area of the fax gets distorted or has a hair in it. Having two barcodes on the page increases the chance of successfully reading one.
You are now ready to automate faxing based on attachments. Upon inserting a new Attachment, the A5 Fax trigger will automatically read the filename and, if it matches the rule, will automatically create a Sent Fax record and fax the attachment.
Note: If you are mass updating multiple records at once and this results in more than one Attachment, then the A5 Fax Fax trigger will detect the need for Batch Mode and will create the Sent Fax record and check the box “Sent with Outbound Message” and a A5 Fax workflow rule will send outbound message to A5 Fax server to send the fax. This is more of an FYI.
Automate Faxing by Creating a Sent Fax Record
If you do not want to automate based on the Attachment insert and filename, you can automate sending a fax by simply creating a Sent Fax record with the mandatory field values (listed below). You can create a Sent Fax record using a Salesforce automation tool such as Process Builder, Flow, or Apex. How you create the record depends on whether your org uses Attachments or Files. Once the Sent Fax record is created, you can add additional actions to support your business processes. For example, once the Sent Fax record is created and the fax is sent, update a custom status field on the related record’s base object to equal “Sent”.
To integrate A5 Documents with A5 Fax, set the A5 Documents custom app settings to “Use Files”. See this article for specific steps. Then, create a Process Builder/Flow/Apex that creates the Sent Fax record when the Document Request status equals “Complete” and the Attachment ID exists.
If you have not yet already, review the Set User Permissions section of the Basic Configuration article to ensure your users have the permissions they need for faxing.
Listed below are mandatory as well as frequently used optional fields.
|Field Name||API Name||Description|
|Fax Number||efaxapp__Fax_Number__c||This is the number to which the fax will be sent.|
|Send Date||efaxapp__Send_Date__c||This is the subject of the fax.|
|Attachment ID||efaxapp__Attachment_ID__c||This is the ID of the attachment.|
|Field Name||API Name||Description|
|Attachment ID2 thru AttachmentID10||efaxapp__Attachment_ID2__c … efaxapp__Attachment_ID10__c||This is the Id of any additional attachments. For example, to attach a cover page. You can send a max of 10 attachments in one fax.|
|Organization Fax Number||efaxapp__Org_Fax_Number__c||This is the number from which fax will be sent, if not set it should be the default org fax number.|
|Sent With Outbound Message||efaxapp__Sent_With_Outbound_Message__c||This is a boolean field which, if the value equals true, indicates that the fax will be sent as soon as the job picks it up. The fax will not be sent if the value equals false. The default value of this field is false.|
|Barcode Position from Left||efaxapp__Barcode_Position_Left__c||Sets the position of the QR code from left edge of the document in pixels.|
|Barcode Position from Top||efaxapp__Barcode_Position_Top__c||Sets the position of the QR code from top edge of the document in pixels.|
|Barcode Size Width||efaxapp__Barcode_Size_Width__c||Sets the QR code width in pixels.|
|Account||efaxapp__Account__c||This is a lookup that can be used to relate the fax record to standard Account record.|
|Contact||efaxapp__Contact__c||This is a lookup that can be used to relate the fax record to standard Contact record.|
|Case||efaxapp__Case__c||This is a lookup that can be used to relate the fax record to standard Case record.|
|Opportunity||efaxapp__Opportunity__c||This is a lookup that can be used to relate the fax record to standard Opportunity record.|